Saturday, June 28, 2008

R. Land - Summerland

This was R. Land's first exhibit in 5 years. He's responsible for a lot of the things that make your Atlanta commute fun: loss cat, pray for ATL, those fake real estate signs ("lofty lofts"!!!!)... there's probably some other public art installations/pranks that I'm forgetting.



Most of the exhibit seemed devoted to reproductions of his already well known works. There was a Loss Cat skateboard, and I would have taken a picture of it, but you know how I feel about encouraging that sort of thing.


The bunny's apparently a figure Land uses a lot. I don't think I've seen it before.


Gateway to the non-exhibit room. To the left, a merch booth. To the right, a bbq table (complete with vegan "ribs"). There was a DJ and disco ball in back.



I vaguely remember this being called "Woman On a Stool." Reminds me of Duchamps "Bicycle Wheel," about which Duchamp said, "I enjoyed looking at it, just as I enjoy looking at flames dancing in the fireplace."

I could say the same thing about Summerland.

0 comments: